Please COMMENT on my blog!!!

Hey guys,
Please leave a comment on my blog if you have a chance to, because this is counted as part of my School Assessment grades.
So if you have anything to add to what Ive said, or disagree/agree with me, or even just want to leave a comment saying something short and sweet, please do.
All comments will be much appreciated =D
Thanks,
~~ Christine

Sunday, October 12, 2008

What exactly is religion? Is it really that funny??

Religion is one-big-fat-joke.
Don’t agree with me??? Well neither do I.
Yet how come we see it as a large source of laugher and target for mockery?

After reading this excerpt “Religion on broadcast TV” from www.startribune.com, I decided to watch the movie Little Nicky. This is a short plot summery taken from imdb.org:
“Little Nicky is "daddy's little girl" in Hell. He's the son of Satan, who got the job from HIS father, Lucifer. Satan wants to retire, but none of his sons are good enough for the job. His two evil brothers Adrian and Cassius have just escaped from Hell and are wreaking havoc on an unsuspecting earth. His dad is disintegrating and it's up to Nicky to save him and all of humanity.”

Little Nicky isn’t the only film to use inaccurate and out of context stereotypes (think for a second, what do you consider IS accurate and in context??) to produce an entertainment piece, other such examples are South Park, Bruce Almighty, and Family Guy.
Although to some, these movies are seen as unethical (because it either goes against their religion, or because it mocks their beliefs), to many others it’s just a source of laughter.

What exactly is religion, who / what is god, and how do we know what is being followed (religion) by a substantial amount of people is even correct / true to begin with? How come so many suffer from ethnocentrism?
Your probably thinking, “how come she talks of what she doesn’t know / understand!?”, but do you even truly know?
Does anyone, including the people whom we quote from in our Bibles and Korans???
Yet there is so much Prejudice between different religions, it’s like society can’t run unless everyone is at war with someone else (even if it isn’t personal).
Religion can be doubted, but not proven (whether it is true or not). So what keeps it going through all these generations?

Perception and Interpretation of Reality (in accordance to culture) keeps religion alive, along with fear.
The one thing all religious people fear is hell, but who really knows what hell is?
I hear that it is sinful to question faith / religion, causing Anxiety and Withdrawal, therefore no one dares to ponder these questions.
Is that what religion is all about? Fear?
In marriages, conversion is a must, if not it’s a sin. Your family and god will look down on you.
Sex before marriage, I quote my friend’s mother when I say “shouldn’t you test the merchandise fully before making a purchase?” as in some marriages, sex is looked upon as another common ground.
Religion, is it guidance? Because I thought it’s a person’s choice whether or not they want help, and from whom they seek it from. However, if you convert you will go to hell?

Muslims for example, a few of their no-noes are that they can’t eat pork, drink alcohol or have sex before marriage (those which I mentioned above). These are very basic, surface things about their religion. Yet how many Muslim’s actually follow by these simple rules? I’ve known many Muslims and have heard about many others. Surprisingly, almost all of them have completely different versions of what makes them Muslim. Is there an Assumption of Similarity? Lots of them have tattoos, piercings, aren’t married but aren’t virgins either, and are high (on drugs / alcohol) every weekend; nevertheless they are “Muslim”.

This is just my understanding of identities within cultures, and I’m honestly not sure if all I’ve said are facts, it’s just what I’ve been told from the “religious”.
So if I’m wrong, how many of you might be too?
Are you sure in your sense of self?
After all, I am just quoting what I hear.

*Perhaps there was a miscommunication in the language and message making between our understandings of each others cultures?*
Just a thought.





Source:

http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/tv/30714804.html?page=2&c=y

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=little+nicky+full+movie&emb=0&aq=f#

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0185431/


8 comments:

Arare - Raj said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Arare - Raj said...

I think it has been proven through history that religion has continuously been used as a major political tool in controlling the masses.


Every religion is guilty of it.Christians for example ,when Emperor Constantine realized how big of an impact Christianity would have culturally and economically in Rome,made it the state religion and how ,when once Christians were targeted for being heretics ,they now inflicted the same pain towards the Pagans.And with the crusades ,to the Muslims and the Aztecs people.

The original messages of the people who started these religions have all but lost.The only traditions and cultures that have stayed are the ones that society picks and chooses to better itself with.

The Taliban is a major example.Nowhere in the Quran does it say that women can't have equal rights with men.Nowhere does it say that practitioners from other religions have to be prosecuted.The Taliban were just a bunch of washed out fundamentalist with tribal linkage, trying to propose bullshit to everyone.I bet my left nut they don't even believe in a God.Its just one big social and economic funtime for them,while using everyone else as exploding expendable objects.

People always accuse me for having no respect for religion when I talk about.Well excuse me,but religion has been poking in my face for as long as I could stand.Its a 2 way street!They think I am insulting their religion ,when quite frankly its their believes and influence on the social-economic world that threatens my own belief system.

And with most of the wars in our short history here on Earth starting because of religion,it can only prove one thing,men are using religion as an excuse to push crap into our heads and they are winning..

I say yes to be spiritual but no to those people who feel the need to stuff my throat with nonsense they themselves cannot prove AT ALL.

okrasandaubergines said...

oh i love religion talk. (to raj : MASSIVE COMMENT THERE)

i come from a background whereby my family members believe in different religions. i myself, believe in Christianity, (which will kill my mom, seriously)

anyway, i believe that every person is entitled to his or her perspectives and judegment on God and religion. I don't like it when someone disregard you for choosing a particular religion to follow which differs from them.

Anonymous said...

Well you've made some very good points. Somewhat constructive criticisms toward religions in general.

I do agree that people do make use of religion to wage wars. Al-Qaeda, those so-called "muslim clerics" have definitely used Islam to recruit people in order to execute their planned terrorist activities.

George Bush, after 9/11, waged a War Against Terrorism soon after. Compared to targeting only one country in the Vietnam war, the US can literally invade a country merely by proving that these countries harbour terrorists.

My point is people may use religion as a catalyst but imagine a world without one. These go back centuries ago and still exists. Unfortunately, with globalisation, it is true that society has been more open and less religious.

But that doesn't neccessarily mean lesser people practising their faith. Religion doesn't change over generations. Its basic fundamentals remain the same. And if practised faithfully, can bring peace to the world.

Anonymous said...

hi christine,
Your point about today's society mocking certain aspects of people's religion, I reckon it's good in forcing the audience to question different beliefs and religion and how it affects society. Maybe doing this through humor is their way of getting people to pay attention.

I wouldn't consider Muslim's not being able to eat pork, drink alcohol or have sex before marriage as "suface things", because it's all done for a reason. I guess some would chose to abide by these rules while others would stray away slightly, because they don't agree on the reasoning behind some things. Like I would consider myself Buddhist, but don't abide by many of the so called "rules" because I can't understand them.

alot of rhetorical questions in your post.. get us thinking :)

enghao said...

its pretty true in today's society religions are pretty confusing, with those extremist terrorizing others, monks being hauled up to court for fraud charges. i guess religions used to be simpler in the past without all the interferences like internet and all. after discussing all about the religions and stuff so what do u believe in? and do you think that religion plays a big part in our culture?

LMC said...

By the way, this is Blog Entry number 6

Victoria said...

Bloody hell!! I love this topic!! I'll be coming back to read it!